For those of you who follow me on Facebook, you got to see The Castle in the various stages of stitching throughout the summer last year. I posted nearly weekly updates on how the project was progressing. For those of you not following me on Facebook, I thought I would share the photos of this project.
Many years ago, when I was a eager teen into dragons, I bought The Castle by Teresa Wentzler to stitch for my bedroom, only to never do it. As much as I loved the look of the dragon and the castle in the picture, I really wasn’t fond of the color blending or the lack of background.
In 2018, I decided it was time to tackle this project and see what tips and tricks other stitchers might have. I stumbled upon a few articles and videos about changing the color scheme of a project. For those interested, here are some really good links:
My floor stand looked kinda like this one at JoAnn’s, only a little better made.
I didn’t get much progress that first week because when I pulled out the floor stand I got as a High School graduation present roughly 20 years ago and put it together, I found that the main pieces at the base was broken along with the holding arm.
So after a little online research to see what is on the market now, I decided that a lap stand would be a better alternative to the floor stand. However, I wasn’t sure that I wanted invest in some of my favorite ones I found online. So I decided to DIY it.
After some trial and error, I was able to use the pieces from my floor stand to create a lap stand. And it wasn’t a bad start.
This was my first try at creating a cross stitch lap stand using the pieces from my floor stand. The Second one worked much better. 😀
And since this was a larger project, I decided to try the parking method for counted cross stitch that I learned about that year. Here is two links that do a good job of discussing the differences between Cross Country and Parking methods (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwhef-KEOHA and https://peacockandfig.com/2015/07/parking-versus-cross-country-stitching/). And a few more that show them in action.
Within the first week I had a good start to the project. Not only had I changed some of the colors, mostly on the dragon, but I also decided that a modified version of the parking method would work better for me.
Here is the first weeks progress with Little Miss K holding her picture. Look how happy she is.
Here are the next weeks work with a modified version of my lap stand. This one made it easier for me to flip it over without having to flip the entire frame over each time.
Somewhere between week 3-6 the progress was slowed down because of haying, but picked back up between week 7 of the project. In the end, I decided to add a sky and water into the picture. So here is the project nearly finished. I still need to outline everything.
I was able to finish The Castle cross stitch for Little Miss K’s birthday in 2018. Here is it, all done and framed!
I loved it so much, I’m debating making one for me in my favorite colors.
Wishing you all the best,