{Show & Tell} The Castle

For those of you who follow me on Facebook, you got to see The Castle in the various stages of stitching throughout the summer last year. I posted nearly weekly updates on how the project was progressing. For those of you not following me on Facebook, I thought I would share the photos of this project.

Many years ago, when I was a eager teen into dragons,  I bought The Castle by Teresa Wentzler to stitch for my bedroom, only to never do it. As much as I loved the look of the dragon and the castle in the picture, I really wasn’t fond of the color blending or the lack of background.

In 2018, I decided it was time to tackle this project and see what tips and tricks other stitchers might have. I stumbled upon a few articles and videos about changing the color scheme of a project. For those interested, here are some really good links:

My floor stand looked kinda like this one at JoAnn’s, only a little better made.

I didn’t get much progress that first week because when I pulled out the floor stand I got as a High School graduation present roughly 20 years ago and put it together, I found that the main pieces at the base was broken along with the holding arm.

So after a little online research to see what is on the market now, I decided that a lap stand would be a better alternative to the floor stand. However, I wasn’t sure that I wanted invest in some of my favorite ones I found online. So I decided to DIY it.

After  some trial and error, I was able to use the pieces from my floor stand to create a lap stand.  And it wasn’t a bad start.

This was my first try at creating a cross stitch lap stand using the pieces from my floor stand. The Second one worked much better. 😀

And since this was a larger project, I decided to try the parking method for counted cross stitch that I learned about that year. Here is two links that do a good job of discussing the differences between Cross Country and Parking methods (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwhef-KEOHA and https://peacockandfig.com/2015/07/parking-versus-cross-country-stitching/). And a few more that show them in action.

Within the first week I had a good start to the project. Not only had I changed some of the colors, mostly on the dragon, but I also decided that a modified version of the parking method would work better for me.

Here is the first weeks progress with Little Miss K holding her picture. Look how happy she is.

Here are the next weeks work with a modified version of my lap stand. This one made it easier for me to flip it over without having to flip the entire frame over each time.

Somewhere between week 3-6 the progress was slowed down because of haying, but picked back up between week 7 of the project. In the end, I decided to add a sky and water into the picture. So here is the project nearly finished. I still need to outline everything.

I was able to finish The Castle cross stitch for Little Miss K’s birthday in 2018. Here is it, all done and framed!

I loved it so much, I’m debating making one for me in my favorite colors.

Wishing you all the best,

Stephannie Beman

 

Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.