Today is my Birthday and I decided to celebrate by telling you 20 things about me. Kinda like the meeting-and-greet stages of dating, only without the dating, free drinks, dinner, or a movie.
- I like to sing, but I really shouldn’t. Not even in the shower. Not ever. More often than not, I’m off-key.
- Writing got me in trouble with teachers a few times throughout my school years. Sadly, they started catching on that I wasn’t writing notes through their whole lecture, but taking notes in one notebook while writing a story in a second notebook.
- I was bald for the first 3 years of my life. When my hair finally grew, I refused to cut it and it has been long ever since, except for the one time I had to cut it. For me, short hair looks really, really bad.
- I refused to take the SATs for two reasons: 1) I can’t take tests worth shit, and 2) I had no intentions of ever going to college. Regardless of what people thought about that decision, I haven’t regretted my choices in life.
- The first night I stayed up late to read a book was when I was three. My grandma finally told me to turn off the light and go to bed. It was 1 AM. Strangely, I didn’t know how to read at the time, I just knew the stories by heart so I could look at the pictures and tell myself the story.
- If I start a book, I have to finish it that same day. I will stay up to read the whole thing and live on 2 hours sleep the next day. Unless it’s a non-fiction, then I can read it a little bit at a time for a month.
- My idea of a good time is staying home to read a book, write, or watch a movie while doing either of the first two or one of my craft projects.
- When I go on vacation I hate visiting the big cities or even small cities. Since I am the navigator, I usually put us on the scenic roads and stick to small towns and the outdoors. I love forests, ghost towns, and mostly empty beaches along the Oregon and Washington coast in the US, and the coastline in British Columbia, Canada. Although, one day I will make it further East and possibly see the Atlantic Ocean.
- I wrote my first stories in 2nd grade. One was about a poor girl who wanted a doll, the other was about a man meeting Christ. I realized years later that the story first story was based on a story about a kid without shoes and the second story was based on of Ben-Hur. See how fiction forms the young mind.
- Every year I read the 1st two books in Lisa Ann Norman’s Sholan Series, Turning Point and Wheel of Fortune. I might even continue reading the next six books, but not always. (Note: I just learned that another book in the series is being released this year. Guess I’ll have to add it to my Wishlist.)
- Lisa Ann Norman, Anne MacCaffery, Laurall K. Hamiliton, Anne Rice, and Alice Borchardt are among the writers who first inspired me to write my own stories as a teenager. The list has only increased with age.
- I’ve had several jobs in my life. The worst was data-entry for a University during tuition time when the Online payment gateway refused to work and I had to call just about every country you can think of to ask people if they meant to pay five times, being a nanny to brats comes in as a close second, and “Sandwich Artist” last, and just so you know there is no art involved in making a sandwich unless you’re doing it for a photo shoot. I preferred being a janitor and cleaning offices and schools to the above three jobs. My favorite jobs have been custom craft work, writer, and book cover designer.
- I love my job as an indie author and publisher. I would love to make a full-time income at writing, but at the moment that isn’t an option. Maybe one day.
- I’m Irish-German with a hint of Viking in my blood. I love to laugh, play, drink, screw, and fight (usually in that order). Although most of my drinking these days is reserved to apple cider and coffee, although a few shots of whiskey isn’t unheard when the occasion arises.
- I don’t have pets. This doesn’t mean that I hate or mistreat animals, I actually love them, but I’m aware that I would make a really bad pet owner based on the fact that I might forget to feed them when writing my next book and I don’t keep them company. They seem to be very aware that I don’t want them around and plot to make me like them.
- Rather than pets I have a ton of wild birds who eat my vegetable/fruit scraps, a handful of barn cats to keep the rodent population at bay, a roaming watch dog to warn me when anyone comes down the road, and some cows to keep my hubby occupied with a hobby. I don’t consider them pets.
- I’m not much for social interaction or social media. It’s not that I’m anti-social or an extreme introvert, I just don’t know what to say. Or you could say that what I say will result in the “Brennen Effect”. If you’ve seen Bones you’ll understand. Only I don’t sound so technical and smart. LOL
- I worried my mom in the 6th grade when I wrote a story about a girl going to her aunt’s house to live after the death of her parents. After a few obstacles, it ended with the girl finding her own grave and learning she too had died in the car accident with her parents. After that I wasn’t allowed to watch scary movies. No more The Last Unicorn or Ghost for me. Now that my age is the equivalent of an adult, I watch all the scary movies I can, which sometimes makes it hard to sleep at night.
- I loved the first three seasons of The Walking Dead and my kids believe they are experts on what it would take to survive the zombie apocalypse. I’ve even caught them playing The Walking Dead in the yard. I’m very aware that if the zombie apocalypse ever happened, I would probably die within the first few days. Most likely trying to save my girls from the zombies they believe they could kill.
- I don’t do subtle. If you want something from me, don’t hint at it, ask me. Otherwise I’ll miss it and not realize that you were asking me for something. Just be aware that I have no problem saying “yes” or “no” to requests.
- I prefer to read romance or stories with a romantic subplot to reading most other genres. This means that most my stories will have a romantic subplot in them. You’ve been warned.
- Despite my book reading preferences, I don’t like to watch romantic movies. I like fast-paced action flicks, supernatural horror, police procedural, science fiction, and paranormal. If it has magic, aliens, violence, and mystery in it, then I’ll probably want to watch it.
- I like to cook, I preferred cooking on my wood stove to my electric range. Somehow cooking on a wood stove seemed to be a more intuitive way to cook, and I burned less food. I’m having more trouble burning food on the electric range but I’m getting back into the swing of how it works.
- I hate cleaning. I will find any way to get out of it that I can. It doesn’t mean my house is a mess. I just try to clean only what has to be done and leave the rest for another day.
Ok, so my list turned out to be 24 things instead of 20. But it is still a damn good list.
Your turn: I love getting to know new people and would love to know more about you. Tell me a little about yourself?
Check it out!
Curious to know what I’m working on or see what is upcoming?
Come check out What New? or Sign Up for my mailing list to to receive the latest updates on new book releases, upcoming books, special offers, and the occasional sneak peek by email.
Come on, you know you want to!